Welcome to the MapMan Family of Software Forum

Please do not hesitate to register and post your question.

Don't forget to subscribe to your posted message so you get notified on updates.
Every question you post will help others and or enhance the software!

Post a question,   post a bug!

Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum

Using MapMan

Generating mapping files for MapMan

Generating mapping files for MapMan
Answer
7/20/11 10:01 AM
Hi,

Do you have any documentation on your map file formats? I would like to try my hand at creating a new map file, for homo sapiens for example. I can collate a bunch of data from other sources, public and private, and want to know how to get it into a format mapman will recognise.

Cheers,
James

RE: Generating mapping files for MapMan
Answer
7/20/11 10:18 AM as a reply to James G Dominy.
Hi James,

you can find a detailed description of the MapMan mapping file format in the MapMan in-application
help under section 3.1 . Basically, it's a simple tabular file format requiring five columns
"BINCODE", "NAME", "IDENTIFIER" , "DESCRIPTION", "TYPE". You can download a mapping file
in XLS format from the mapman store (e.g. Ath_AGI_TAIR9_Jan2010) and use the "header" section
that simply lists all available bins as a guide for the general bin ontology structure.

But since a mapping for human certainly needs to be extended/modified in some regions of the functional
ontology (and pruned in others) you'll have to add custom bins. In any case if you have problems or
questions don't hesitate to ask, and we'd also be very grateful if you'd like to share the final product
of your efforts with the community. If you decide to do so it could e.g. be provided to all MapMan users
via the MapMan store.

best greetings,
Marc