Welcome to the MapMan Family of Software Forum

Please do not hesitate to register and post your question.

Don't forget to subscribe to your posted message so you get notified on updates.
Every question you post will help others and or enhance the software!

Post a question,   post a bug!

Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum

Using MapMan

Using Glycine Max Gene Names

Using Glycine Max Gene Names
gene names mapping database glycine max
Answer
4/22/10 8:57 PM
Hi,

I have a large data set from transcriptome analysis that I'm trying to use Mapman to show the differences in metabolic activity. I have gene expression data specified on a per-gene basis (i.e., Glyma01g00300). The glycine data set uses only the affy numbers, and there's not a good way to convert between them that I know about. Is there a way to use this mapping database with the glycine gene names rather than affy numbers?

RE: Using Glycine Max Gene Names
Answer
4/26/10 9:16 AM as a reply to Alec V Story.
Hi Alec,

Unfortunately, the only mapping we provide for soy bean to-date is affy-probe set identifier-based.
Using the procedure outlined by TAIR, probe sets can be mapped to the target gene(s) they will
match in an RNA sample (ftp://anonymous@ftp.arabidopsis.org/home/tair/Microarrays/Affymetrix/README).
Due to a lack of requests, we have not yet provided a mapping based on the gene identifiers. If you provide a
link/file containing the gene IDs and the respective sequences we can do the affy ID to gene ID mapping and
provide a gene ID based mapping for soy bean.

cheers,
marc

Answer
5/6/10 9:52 PM as a reply to Marc Lohse.
Marc,

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, we're doing a whole-genome comparison, so I think I'll do the mapping myself.

However, I need the list of the affy tags involved in MapMan's soybean database to do the mapping cleanly. Is there any way that I can get this? I don't need the whole set of pathway information in a flat format; just the affy tags involved.

-Alec

Answer
5/7/10 8:17 AM as a reply to Alec V Story.
Hi Alec,

you can obtain the text or excel table containing the soybean mapping
from the mapman store (http://mapman.gabipd.org/web/guest/mapmanstore).
The first column of this file contains all the affy IDs. Since this list is not unique
(meaning affy ID may appear several times) i extracted the unique list and
attached it to the post.

best greetings,
Marc