Welcome to the MapMan Family of Software Forum

Please do not hesitate to register and post your question.

Don't forget to subscribe to your posted message so you get notified on updates.
Every question you post will help others and or enhance the software!

Post a question,   post a bug!

Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum

MapMan Bugs

Problem with installation of 1.8.1 on Mac

I installed Mapman 1.8.1 (for Mac) today and I cannot get it to boot up. When I double-click the icon, it starts to load, then quits out without an error message. I downloaded and installed twice with no sucess.

my system is as follows
OS 10.3.9
Java 1.4.2
1.2 GHz G4 with 512 Mb RAM

Any thoughts?

Re: Problem with installation of 1.8.1 on Mac
Answer
8/30/06 3:57 PM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
Hi,

sorry can't help you with Mac specific problems, but Axel should be back next week.

Sorry,

Björn

Answer
8/30/06 4:00 PM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
on second thought, there was a version of Mac OS X which came with a broken Java version.
Seems to be 10.3.9 actually

Mayber this document helps you there:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301380

Cheers,
Björn

Answer
8/31/06 2:16 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
I suspect it is a problem with Java on OS 10.3.9, however after reading the document you suggested, it doesnt appear that simple.

I ran the java version command and got this reply

java version "1.4.2_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_09-233)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-56, mixed mode)

As it suggests, I have all the current software updates from apple.
This is the latest version available (for my OS ...) and is "supposed" to fix all java-related problems in 10.3.9.

Interestingly, the Java version I have isnt totally broken. I can run other java software ok. I have Jalview2.1 installed, a java program from EBI, which is currently running fine.

I read a mention of the "java shared archive", which is disabled by the latest version. It is possible to resotre it, but is supposed to only effect performance, not compatibility. I dont want to muck around with settings I dont understand unless I have a guarantee of a result.

Answer
8/31/06 10:30 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
Ok in this case I don't know what else to do, we have to wait for Axel to come back next week.

Cheers,
Björn

Answer
9/4/06 8:07 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
Dear Rohan,

I have checked the installation on MacOSX.
I have installed and deinstalled several times an once encountered the problem that the desktop icon did not work properly. But after I used locate alias and aborted the file chooser dialog which came up it nonetheless started properly. That problem did not occur regularly so I assumed as a none Mac pro that I have just accessed the fresh icon a second to early before all installation routines have finished.

Another way to check out might be to start from the terminal window, as it might yield messages which get lost otherwise.

Use a terminal window and type the following commands:
cd /Applications/MapMan/ImageAnnotator.App/Contents/MacOS
./ImageAnnotator

We use java 1.5.0_06 installed with an mac update.

Answer
9/4/06 9:36 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
thanks for the tip

I booted it up using the terminal command you suggested. It did not start. I did get an error message, it said...
Segmentation fault

so, I hope that helps somewhat. I had tried to boot the program directly from the application icon as well as from the alias.

I think that it is probably just that I need to get mac OS 10.4, so I can get the Java 1.5 update. If there is any reports of people using OS10.3.9 (panther) sucessfully with MapMan that would clear up if it is just me or the OS that's the problem.

You could test this by trying to boot Mapman with java 1.4.2.

perhaps you should just change your system requirements to Java 1.5 ;)
I blame Apple for restricting the Java 1.5 update to OS10.4 users... cheapskates.

-Rohan

Answer
9/4/06 11:48 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
I checked with the 1.4.2 java engine manually like i describe here and it worked for me (you can even decide how much maximum memory to put in the virtual machine (-Xmx option)).

good luck

This is the hardcore way with all the options, maybe that gets us more information:
1. Got to the MapMan library directory

cd /Applications/MapMan/lib/

2. Call Java directly (next lines as one command!!!):

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Commands/java -Xmx128m -cp ImageAnnotator.jar:hsqldb.jar:junit.jar:js.jar:jxl.jar:dom4j-1.5.2.jar de.rzpd.mapman.ImageAnnotator

Answer
9/5/06 3:07 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
I ran the suggested command and... sucess!!

interestingly, at Terminal it still reported this error
2006-09-05 09:48:37.972 java[383] _initWithWindowNumber: error creating graphics ctxt object for ctxt:41323, window:1121320960

but then it started up anyway after a few seconds delay.
I went through the first use startup dialogues and then tried to restart it the normal way. It failed to launch again.

I tried the booting from Terminal command, that still failed with a "Segmentation fault". I then re-treid the command calling java directly, it did still work

So, I can reproducibly start it up using that huge terminal command. Can I make some kind of shortcut to perrform that command from an icon? because that would be an ok workaround.

Thanks for the all the effort so far.

Answer
9/5/06 10:36 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
create a file (e.g. ImageAnnotor.bash) in the /Applications/MapMan folder wih the following content (two lines only, remove line wrapping)

#!/bin/bash
java -Xmx128m -cp /Applications/MapMan/lib/ImageAnnotator.jar:/Applications/MapMan/lib/hsqldb.jar:/Applications/MapMan/lib/junit.jar:/Applications/MapMan/lib/js.jar:/Applications/MapMan/lib/jxl.jar:/Applicati
ons/MapMan/lib/dom4j-1.5.2.jar de.rzpd.mapman.ImageAnnotator

make it readable and executable:
(e.g using terminal: chmod ugoa+rx ImageAnnotator.bash)

now it can be started from the command line as one command.

As I'am a mac novice I have no idea ??? (but I have tried with no luck so far) how to create a kind of alias(link) which executes the script (ImageAnnotator.bash). I would have looked into the Automator but I have no idea how those apple things work. We use our mini mac solemly for software testing purposes.
I would be interested if you could tell me how to do it ;-)

Answer
9/5/06 11:40 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
I am sorry, i dont know how to get these things running either.

I dont think it's worth all this trouble, as now I cant get the script to run from my own file.

I think I'll just let it rest.

-thanks for all your help

???

Answer
9/6/06 11:50 AM as a reply to Rohan Lowe.
Funny how things work out...

A solution of sorts.
I just tried a slightly "bent" version of Java 1.5 on my mac OS 10.3.9.

Nomally, you cant install java 1.5 on 10.3, but I read that it is possible if you manually remove the "installation check" file from within the installer.

so, I have managed to get Java 1.5 installed, and Mapman started up without a problem.

I have no idea how problematic the Java 1.5 install may be, but I will monitor it and if it gives me no problems, I'll leave it alone!

-Rohan