Welcome to the MapMan Family of Software Forum

Please do not hesitate to register and post your question.

Don't forget to subscribe to your posted message so you get notified on updates.
Every question you post will help others and or enhance the software!

Post a question,   post a bug!

Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum Welcome to the MapMen Family of Software Forum

Using MapMan

trouble with download for MacOS

trouble with download for MacOS
Respuesta
19/06/20 16:37
I get the error statement:
"MapManInst.app" needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it toward with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information. I am using macOS Catalina version 10.15.5.
Two other people I work with have successfully downloaded on their Macs with the same operating system, but for some reason I get this message and the download only get 40.4 MB in the zip file that is downloaded.

RE: trouble with download for MacOS
Respuesta
9/09/20 11:42 en respuesta a Maud Hinchee.
Hello,
I had similar problems with my Mac (also using Catalina). However, I was finally able to install MapMan following these steps:
- download Java 6 SE Legacy (https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US)
- however this doesn't run on Catalina on it's own, so that you need to first run the following simple script (copy-paste it on your Script Editor in utility folder):

set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select javaforosx.dmg:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/JavaForOSX.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/"
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/return false/return true/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/Java.pkg"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
display dialog "Modified Java.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}

- the script will ask you to choose the file to open so that you can select the previously downloaded java 6, afterwards installation should work fine.
- After installing java (you can check from the terminal by writing "java -version" and the terminal should print the java version), you can download the MapManInst-3_6_0RC1.jar from the download page.
- MacOS doesn't allow installation of software from unknown developers, so you should enable installation from the terminal by writing (do not copy-paste) "sudo spctl --master-disable"
- double click on the downloaded file and it should be installed

Note that no icon will appear on the desktop/application folder. However, the program is installed and located at the following path (unless you changed during installation): "/Applications/MapMan"
You can run the program by writing on your terminal:
"sh ../../Applications/MapMan/MapMan.sh"

This worked for me, there might be easier more straightforward methods I am not aware of. Hope it was useful